Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Cup of Water

I've been feeling....hmmm....quiet I guess is the only way to put it. It happens. It's not a bad feeling, just a 'pulling in' (as opposed to a 'shutting down'). So much of my life (as mom, wife, teacher) is about projecting out, and this seems to be part of my rejuvenating process. It's a typical way for me to start the summer season, though it's a bit premature this year, as I'm still working this week.

During these times, I think a lot and I do a lot. Do you think when you're driving? I used to believe I did, but now I know that's not true at all. Well, that's not entirely accurate; I do think when I'm driving, but it's such a distracted, unpredictable kind of thinking that it's more like a skipping from idea to idea, or from daydream to daydream, and I can hardly remember anything I was thinking about by the time I get to wherever I was going. I've been so lost in careless thoughts that I've driven past my exit on the freeway, only to get off at the next exit, return to the freeway, and (getting so lost in NEW thoughts) I drive past my exit again, going in the other direction.

For me, my very very very best thinking, always, happens when I'm cleaning or gardening, and when I'm running, no question about it. Today after getting everybody home and settled in, I went straight out to move dirt, plant strawberries, clean the deck, and move pots. I was just getting a good groove going when I brought the action indoors, and began cleaning the appliances.

Which brings me to right now, where I want to tell you that I learned this super great cleaning tip (and I think it was from Moose and Kelly!) and I use it all the time. I used it tonight, in fact! And now that I'm about to share it, I'm starting to second guess myself. Am I the last person on the planet to know this trick? Am I about to show what an ignoramus I am in the kitchen? Let's just say I'm thinking too hard, and here it is:

Before you clean the inside of your microwave, put a coffee cup full of water in and run it for about 3 or 4 minutes.

The water will condense on the inside of the microwave, and then without chemicals, and very little elbow grease, you will be able to wipe down any (and every) microwave mess. We don't use the microwave a lot, but it's inevitably for reheating something with tomato or barbecue sauce, and we all know what a little cheese can do to the inside of the microwave...it's like chipping off cement once it's sat for a day. Or two. Or three weeks. What can I say? I'm not always feeling so reflective.

Now I just need to figure out how to use the same trick in the refrigerator!

3 comments:

  1. Mia, the last few times I've used our microwave I've told myself, "I need to clean this!" It's so easy, yet, when my coffee is reheated I just continue on and I tell myself, "I'll clean it later." As for the refrigerator, a paste solution of baking soda and white vinegar will work well. I use this solution to clean our greasy stove. Worked like a charm! How's Scotty? Moose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mia
    Thanks for the comments on my blog. Yes that's my one and only granddaughter in Australia.

    I don't like using the microwave and often don't look in there for a week or more. Reading your tip I thought I better see how it was!!!!!
    Well I think it needs a large bucket of water in there instead of a mug. My boys will heat their supper without a cover and most of it is still stuck to the sides. Yuk!!! But thanks for the tip, I'll pass it on to number one son and he can clean the dratted thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Moosie! That's great news about the paste solution, as I have currently been using a commercial degreaser and I'm trying to phase-out chemicals. Scotty is hilarious! The biggest problem is trying to keep him off the bikes, down from climbing, and out of the pool!

    Pippa ~ Oh, for sure, your tip is WAY better than mine...pass it off to a son!!

    ReplyDelete