Monday, June 29, 2009

Date Night

I love this kid.

We had a date night tonight, and I took him to dinner and a movie.

It's nice to have a special outing with My Big Boy, but it's especially nice to just hold hands in the car and talk. Tommy is seriously funny, and he has a great laugh!

Tonight, as we were heading over to the movies after picking up our sandwiches, he asked me, "Mom, would you rather not blink or not have movies?"

I didn't want to shortchange how important this decision is, especially for a not-quite-9-year-old, but I have to say that my answer came immediately. After a bit of probing (turns out he'd really miss movies, so that's what he would pick) I told him I'd definitely keep blinking, because it's really important to keep our eyes healthy, and clean, and moist.

He thought he could probably do without it.

Me: You just blinked.
Him: No way!
Me: There it is again.
Him: Nuh-uh!
Me: Again!
Him: I did not!
Me: Oh, yeah. There. And there.

He threw down the visor and stared in the mirror. He blinked a few times in the next minute, and every time, he'd call out, "No way! Not even! I didn't even know I was blinking!" over and over again. How could I not laugh?!

Tommy is one of the most naturally funny people I've ever met, actually. The number one reaction people have to him? "He's such a character!" And he is! But I especially love how his humor is getting so much more sophisticated. He makes lots of funny word plays that crack me up.

One of my favorites? Scotty, Tommy, and I like to make pancakes together. My Boys are getting really good at flipping flapjacks! There's rarely a mishap, but occasionally a hotcake will fold in half when being flipped, and when this happens, Tommy laughs and says it's a "panquadilla" (pronounced "pane-kuh-dee-ya") and then I laugh so hard I can hardly see, because he's right, it looks just like a quesadilla!

No comments:

Post a Comment