Thursday, January 22, 2009

Nana's Table Cloth

Here is some proof that I've purged and re-orged...an actual empty drawer in my dresser! And another that's very nearly empty. Come on! That's awesome.







Sometime during the reorg and purge process, I stopped by my mom's to pick up their truck. We needed to load it for the donations and some garbage. I have to say, I purge and sort more than most people I know, and there was very little garbage when I went through this time. I'm calling this a victory.

When I walked into my mom's house, she was putting away Christmas decorations. She's a hardcore decorator (does this skip a generation or something?) and she was folding this cloth. It was around the bottom of her main tree (as opposed to the secondary, terciary, and multiple mini trees she had around the house), as a tree skirt. I almost stopped breathing when I saw it.

Me: Where did you get that?
Mom: It was Grandma's.
Me: [What I was thinking: Wait. You mean, it belonged to my favorite person in the whole world, who was ripped from life during a very traumatic college transition and it's made of handstitched counted cross-stitch in the very colors and folkart style that exactly match my aesthetic?] What I said: Give it to me.
Mom: What?
Me: Give. It. To. Me.
Mom: No!
Me: Mom. I'm not joking. I want it, and I want you to give it to me right now.
Mom: Mia. No! I use it every year with my tree!
Me: [Pause] Give it to me.

And she did! She gave it to me! I couldn't believe it. I cherish it and adore it so much it makes my tummy hurt just looking at it. It is so precious to me. Oh, but wait. There's more!

My mom phoned me two days later.

Her: I just remembered where that table cloth came from.
Me: Oh?
Her: My grandma made it for my mom one Christmas.
Me: Shut up.
Her: Yeah, I remembered because she cried when she saw it.
Me:.....
Her: .....
Me: Thank you.

Here it is, draped across my bed, making me practically ache with happiness every time I see it. And I see it all the time.

I was telling my friend how I got this the other day and she told me that I shouldn't have asked for it, that it means it came to me before it was time.



To which I say: Are you high? Believe me, this beauty is exactly where it is supposed to be, and not a minute too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment