Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Gardening :: Sage


 It's that time of the year, when I've started assessing the garden plan. Besides the monumental weed situation, two beautiful plants came up big losers. The top one is a flourishing rosemary and the bottom one is a stronger-than-ever sage. Both of these herbs started as $1.99 starts several years ago, but both have outlived their planting arrangements. I hated doing it, but the sage had to die (I'm sorry honey and bumble bees, I know this is your favorite friend!) and the rosemary had to move out of the tub and into the ground.

 After about an hour of hacking, pulling, and cursing, the sage BUSH had been reduced to a pile of branches and an enormous stump.
The raised bed that had been buried under the sprawl of the sage was now free and clear, and with compost and soil amendments, it has been planted as the cucumber patch.
 
The only thing that made this task bearable was the fact that this amazing plant had lovingly cast it's seeds into the surrounding areas and a half dozen small sages were growing nearby. I carefully dug them out and kept them immersed in a bucket of water until the next afternoon, when I finally had time to plant them in the front yard.

The front yard is going to be the kitchen garden, and I'm happy to report that three of the new sage plants and the enormous rosemary bush have survived the move and appear to be thriving. That's a decent mortality rate for my gardening record, if I'm being honest. Fingers crossed that I can, in the near future, amend appears to be thriving with just "thriving". Wish me luck....

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! But don't worry, if you want an insurance rosemary must cut off a piece or two and plant it. Rosemary grows great from cuttings. If you want to be authentic, you have to plant the cuttings in coffee cans while you are getting them going. That's what my grandpa did. But leftover nursery pots work too ;-)

    ReplyDelete