Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A few months ago, I bought this wool blanket at the thrift store for $5. It was big and ugly, but it had a nice texture and it was 100% wool. When I bought it, I knew I wanted to cut it into useable chunks and dye it different colors. I got some regular old Rit dye from the grocery store and that's where my efforts stalled until just now.



I set up a little station on the stove, where I heated the water to a boil, added the dye, and then stirred in the wool patches for the recommended 30 minutes. I had no idea what would happen, but if it didn't work I'd be out nothing more than a few hours and a few bucks, and I thought it would be fun to try it out.


Using the laundry line that I have set up in the garage to try to cut down on drying sheets and a few loads of clothes every week, I let them air dry.



And at the end I had this beautiful stack of amazing wool felt! Wool felt is actually very expensive, and if I were purchase this much it would cost me over a hundred dollars. I was so pleased with my experiment! The colors came out so vibrant and so extraordinary! I even threw in a wool shawl that Erik accidentally turned pink in the washer. Unwearable until I dyed it a deep red (it's on top there).
I told Erik, "Look! Look what I did! Isn't this just amazing? I mean, all this wool felt, and look at all these great colors!"
And he said...."Couldn't you just buy them like that?"
*sigh* Yes. Yes I could.

3 comments:

  1. You are so creative. I would have never thought to do that - dye material or something I already have but it is not the right color. I wish we were neighbors. I could learn so much from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tray ~ Once you start dying things, you won't stop. My whole family would look like oompa-loompas if I could fit them in the pot. It's so addicting, and satisfying! Especially if you're kids are hard on their clothes...or if, say, you're me, and you can destroy a white shirt by the appetizer...cloth dye will be your best friend! I started by trying it on things I was going to toss anyway, and it made me much braver by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete