Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sweet

It's done. It's done!

I can't believe it's done. 120 pages.

Oh, the things I missed when I was writing! Look at the cuteness.

Tonight, for the first time in three weeks, I came home, and I didn't have any student work to analyze... no research to summarize.... no deadline hanging over my head...

I came home tonight and (you know what's coming) went into the garden. Our pumpkins are doing spectacularly! I always thought Tommy picked pumpkins to plant because he wanted to make jack-o-lanterns at Halloween. When we checked on their progress he got very excited about several that are BIG and turning ORANGE. As you might expect, from a pumpkin. Anyway, he was going on about how great, and when would they all be orange, and just when I was about to say how great it will be to have our own pumpkin patch at Halloween, he shouted over the greenery, "How many pumpkin pies do you think you'll make?!?"

Hmmmm.... was not expecting that. Here's what I know about making pumpkin pie from actual pumpkins: . Yes, that's absolutely nothing. But I like a challenge, so we'll see how it goes.

And then I came into the house, set down my harvest, and made a double-batch of pesto. I packed up several thousand pages of math and put it in the garage for a little timeout. I'll want to look again, always curious, but right now I need a recess from dealing with it. A box in the garage works for me.

Then a slow and quiet tour of the house... my feet sticking to the kitchen flour; toys and blankets and unmade beds mixed with stacks of notes, rough drafts, and crumbs. Dishes sprinkled throughout the house. Towels on the bathroom floor. How long had I been asleep?

No worries. The nesting has already begun, and it feels oh so sweet.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mia
    I am having the same problem with the pumkins, I want to make pies but don't know where to begin. I've grown 'blues' and I hope they behave the same as the orange one.I know the feeling about the writing. My profile writing always took over my life at the end of term and it is something I do not miss.

    Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia, I have heard there are pumpkins for making pies and pumpkins for jack-o-lanterns. I think Kelly tried one year and the JOL pumpkins didn't make good pumpkin pie. Moose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brit: :)

    Pippa ~ Lovely! Well, this will be our little adventure this fall, and whenever I find myself in this situation, I always think, you know, there's always the internet! lol I'm sure everything we need to know about scratch-baking with fresh pumpkin is right there, waiting for us!

    Moose: Uh-oh. That doesn't bode well for me. I see at least one can of back-up pumpkin in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!!! As someone who has read the 'little project' you were working on, I know how much work it is. As always, I am totally impressed with you!

    ReplyDelete