Sunday, August 22, 2010

In the Garden

Coming home and checking the garden after our vacation was pretty exciting, to say the least!
Giant zucchini... there will be Laurel's Kitchen baked zucchini casserole this week!
The cucumbers are obnoxious!  I pulled seven like this one.  Luz, who was housesitting, already helped herself.  There are at least another dozen, though they aren't THIS big.  I'm going to have to figure out how to make refrigerator pickles.  Are pickles easy to preserve, in general?
Some of my tomatoes have this weird rot on the bottom.  These two tomatoes came off the same plant, and one has it and the other doesn't.  The ones growing in the backyard have just a few like this, but one of the ones in the front yard has pretty much all like this. I tried to look it up in my Golden Gate Gardening book, but meh, who knows?  It's been a pretty cold summer (foggy and overcast until afternoon) but I'm not sure that's why....
It is with pure joy that I report new growth on four of my five propogated hummingbird sage plants!  They are still so wee, but they grow so fast.  I can't wait!   I'm going to plant two on my (still mostly bare!) hill and give two to my mom.
These geraniums are growing from pieces I snapped off my my main two plants.  They are so happy and beautiful in their colorful pots.  In what happens to be, apparently, the most desolate corner of my yard.  Holy.
I put up a few new feeders over the last couple of weeks, too.  I thought nobody was interested in them, but I guess it was just the watched pot that never boils, because when we left for a week and half, the squirrels and birds went nuts!
I was especially (pleasantly) surprised that my hummingbird feeder was finally emptied! 
I happily buzzed around, checking on my bees (love you, bees!) and refilled the feeders, and harvested my vegetables, and I even felt happy when I came back inside and saw that in those thirty minutes... my family had completely destroyed the inside of our house.  *sigh*  Domestic bliss, really.  :)

1 comment:

  1. From my cousin Kelly, who is a master gardener, but who can't get her comment posted. She called it "posting gremlins". She's so funny! Anyway, she sent an email, but it was good info so I'm going to try to post it here:

    Hurray for the salvia propagations!! Your tomatoes have blossom end rot.
    It comes from a deficiency of calcium. Some varieties are more susceptible to it than others. It probably doesn't mean that you lack calcium in your soil (although adding some might help). In cool weather plants don't
    mobilize soil nutrients well, so it may just be that they couldn't get it from the soil.

    ReplyDelete